Pages

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Salon day and Chaguaramas National Park

My new friend Petra was generous enough to spring me from the joint Saturday (Sept. 14, 2013). She took me to West Mall, a swanky establishment where I could only afford to window shop. I found a beautiful original painting of a tropical sunset on a piece of bamboo there that I simply had to have, but it cost more than TT$2,000! Sadly, I decided I could, in fact, live without it. I did splurge at a walk-in salon, however, because even the boys in my house were finding my grey hair a bit off-putting. My last color job was in June, I believe, so it was certainly time for a touch up. I got an all over dark brown that's nearly black -- basically my natural color. The staff wasn't rude, but they were certainly slow. Inefficient, poor customer service. That's something I'm coming to expect in Trinidad. Nobody here gets in a hurry. About anything. Anyway, I was pleased with the results and felt much more like myself on leaving the salon. Petra then took me to Super Pharm, which is similar to CVS, so I could purchase some make-up. I got L'Oreal products: blush, lipstick, eye liner, eye shadow. Purples and pinks. Hallelujah!

                                          Bamboo cathedral at Chauaramas National Park

After the girly portion of the outing, Petra took me to Chaguaramas National Park. We walked around a bit, and Petra told me that screaming sound I heard was monkeys. I never saw any of the animals, but it was cool knowing they were around. The area had been flooded the day before, as a bad storm had come through. So the walkways were messy with leaves and mud. But that didn't detract from the beauty. The bamboo trees were amazing. Petra said people get married and have parties under the bamboo cathedral (pictured). I can see why. It was quite tranquil there, and the shade made the heat and humidity slightly more bearable. We didn't walk around much, as my fitness level leaves a lot to be desired these days. Also, we got there pretty late in the evening and wanted to leave before night fell.

                                                           Hope under the bamboo

No comments:

Post a Comment