Pages

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Water park fun

Last Friday SDCH took the kids to a water park in Port-of-Spain as a last hurrah before school started back this week. I went along with plans to swim but ended up staying in the bleachers with the adults just talking and learning more about Trinidad’s culture. When I first heard water park, I was envisioning something like Shipwreck Island in Panama City Beach, FL. Or maybe Big Kahuna in Destin, FL. Turns out this was a temporary attraction, like a fair. 


Blue Waters Aqua Fun Park

Blue Waters Aqua Fun Park is a moving beast, with inflatable pools and slides, bounce houses, a food court. The food court made me feel at home, as there was fried chicken, pizza, and hamburgers for sale. I had a pepperoni pizza and some fried cheese sticks. Aww, home. Lol. And Pepsi. No Coke. The other options were juices and smoothies, which aren’t my favorite thing. 


                                                                   A taste of home

Watching the kids from SDCH play with such abandon was nice. The scenery beyond the stadium was pretty too. I was told the stadium normally hosts football (soccer), cricket, and netball matches, among other things. A DJ played a lot of SoCa over the loudspeakers, with some American pop thrown in for good measure. The music was energetic and enjoyable, made me want to dance. I greatly appreciated getting out of the compound in general and having a change of scenery. I’m used to hopping in the car on a whim to go wherever I want. Having no car and living and working at the same place is quite strange. I feel a little cooped up sometimes. (Fortunately I’ve talked a co-worker into planning a working lunch out at a restaurant this Friday. Yay!)

I did a good bit of walking Friday, so after the outing my feet were bothering me. Plantar fasciitis flaring up. I was limping for a couple days, but I’m feeling better now in that regard. My tummy, however, is making known it’s discontent with the spices here. I suppose that’s part of travelling abroad, having stomach trouble. I guess I’ll get adjusted with time.

A gal pal of mine and her mother are planning to visit T&T in November, so I’m hoping to get my hours scheduled so that I can take a week off to vacation, really see some sights.


Meanwhile I’m doing homework for my seminar and soaking up my training materials here. I hope to get sessions scheduled with a couple of kids I’ve been assigned. Facebook, email, and Google Hangouts are keeping me connected to friends and family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment