Pages

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Ariapita Avenue and Oktoberfest

Last night I got a real taste of Trini nightlife. First Jenna and Nakeshia (friends from the office) took me to Shakers on Ariapita Avenue, where Jenna was meeting some folks she knows from Rotary. I had a Tequila Sunrise, Coke, chicken strips, and fried cheese, while the overhead speakers pumped out Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, and GNR. That part was obviously a lot like back home. But we were under a mango tree, and the air was thick with humidity and Caribbean accents. A good rain earlier in the day had cooled down the temp a bit; I'd guess in the 80s.

Jenna, Hope and Nakesia limin' under a mango tree.

We enjoyed each other's company outside Shakers for maybe two hours or more before deciding to check out Oktoberfest just down the avenue -- or up the avenue? The geography still confuses me. On the walk to Oktoberfest, plenty of Trinis were hanging out with open containers. Reminded me of Bourbon Street in NOLA a little. Street vendors were selling cow heel soup and doubles, neither of which I tried. My adventurous spirit doesn't extend to food, as I've mentioned before, I think.

 
Street vendors on Ariapita Avenue.

When we arrived at Oktoberfest, the police made us wait in line for a few minutes before we could enter the dance floor/stage area. Filled to capacity. While we stood in the mud (from the earlier rain), a German entertainer in traditional dress tried to teach the crowd a German dance. The results were quite funny. Soon enough we were allowed entrance, and I got a look at Trinis in German costume. Quite a sight. The crowd attempted yodeling, which didn't work out so well. But shouts of "Wunderbar!" translated well enough, inspiring cheers and drinking all around. I tried a Carib beer, a local brew, just for kicks. I'm not a beer fan, but this wasn't bad. Still, after two careful sips, I passed my cup to Nakeshia, who graciously finished it for me.



Germans and Trinis unite in their appreciation for beer.

After the German portion of the show, Bunji Garlin took the stage. He's an entertainer from Trinidad and Tobago who's been nominated for a Soul Train Award. I enjoyed his stuff, though it's very different from what I usually like. You can't help but dance to it. I felt honored to hear him live. And I felt a wonderful energy as he interacted with all the Trinis who were singing along and dancing. We were on the dance floor maybe an hour and a half, and my feet were aching when they shut down for the night. Gotta take it easy as I'm still getting over ailments. Fortunately my feet are in decent shape this morning, so I didn't overdo. Right now I'm awaiting a ride to the POS airport for a noon flight to Tobago. I'll post more as I visit the sister island.


Bunji Garlin, a much-loved Trini performer.

No comments:

Post a Comment